When I made the apple cake, I only placed half of the batter in the pan before adding apples. They really seemed to sink to the bottom. Next time, I'll definitely place more of the batter in the pan first.
My apple cake recipe is adapted from this one.
Prep Time: 15+ minutes
Cook Time: 45+ minutes
Ingredients (15 servings)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 apple, chopped (peel optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Grease and flour a 9x5 loaf pan.
3. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, mix together flours, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
5. Beat butter and sugar together until creamy. Mix in eggs, one at a time. Mix in vanilla. Add and mix in the flour mixture. Mix milk into the mixture.
6. Pour 2/3 of mixture into prepared pan. Place half of the apples and half of the brown sugar mixture on top. Add remaining cake batter on top of apples. Top with remaining apples and brown sugar mixture. Pat gently. Swirl brown sugar into the apples and cake, if desired.
7. Bake for 45-50 minutes. An inserted toothpick should come out clean.
Powered by Recipage
What's your favorite apple recipe? We have a few favorites around here.
Apple muffins and caramel apple dip are made frequently. The kids love to make bite-size apple pies and snack on heart-shaped apples.
Sign up for weekly or daily emails from This Simple Home.