My mother-in-law bakes terrific cakes and goodies, including our wedding cake. She introduced the frosted, double-decker brownies years ago. I've been making these for at least ten years, though I usually just enjoy the ones she makes. Double-decker brownies are a perfect dessert to take along to a potluck picnic or as an everyday dessert.
As my readers likely know, I'm not typically a fan of frosting. I scrape it off cake (or just make pound cake) before eating and fight with it every time I frost a cake (like here and here.) This frosting is tasty and easy to smooth on the brownies though. Just in case you wondered.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: bake dessert cookie
Ingredients (32 servings)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted (or Nestle Choco Bake)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted (or Nestle Choco Bake)
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
InstructionsFor the Cake
1. In a small bowl combine the flower, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine butter, sugar, and vanilla. Beat until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
3. Gradually blend the flour mixture into the butter mixture.
4. Divide batter in half.
5. Blend melted chocolate into the first half of batter.
6. Spread chocolate batter in a well-greased and floured 9x13 pan. Spread plain batter evenly over the chocolate layer.
7. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes.For the Frosting
1. In a small bowl combine melted butter, chocolate, and vanilla.
2. Alternately, blend in confectioner's sugar and milk. Beat until smooth.
3. Spread frosting over cooled brownies. Cut into squares.
Powered by Recipage
This is the only recipe I use Choco Bake in, but it is super handy to have and worth having on hand.
caramel corn or fudge cookie bars. It's handy to have a great baker in the family. I've called her a number of times for cake help. She also brings the best treats when she visits.
Who do you look to for baking inspiration?
**Also, please note, on Sunday morning there will be a flash giveaway (lasting 24 hours) at This Simple Home's Facebook page. I'm giving away an Amazon gift card to one of you.**
Sign up for weekly or daily emails from This Simple Home.