We topped it with strawberry sauce which delighted the children. Since I don't like frosting, pound cake is ideal for me. When strawberry season was in full swing here in southeastern Pennsylvania, I actually made this twice during a week or so. Wanting a basic (no lemon or blueberry...) pound cake recipe, I sought my Better Homes and Garden New Cook Book. (It's a great choice in a cookbook.)
Sour Cream Pound Cake
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Ingredients (10 servings)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (1 cup all-purpose and 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Allow butter, eggs, sour cream to come to room temp for 30 minutes. Grease (with shortening) and lightly flour 9x5 loaf pan.
2. Mix flour, powder, soda together. Set aside.
3. Beat butter on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar. Beat for 10 minutes. Scrape occasionally.
4. Beat in vanilla.
5. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat 1 minute after each addition. Scrape frequently.
6. Alternate adding flour mixture and sour cream to butter mixture, beating on low-medium until just combined each time. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
Bake at 325 for 60-70 minutes. Cool ten minutes in pan. Remove to rack to cool completely.
Powered by Recipage
Do you love cake and frosting? I think chocolate chip cookies are still my favorite dessert, but I do like a bit of variety.
Sign up for weekly or daily emails from This Simple Home.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through an affiliate link, I earn a small percentage at no cost to you. Thank you!