This macaroni and cheese recipe is very creamy. Once I doubled the amount of pasta but not the cheese sauce when making it for ourselves and a friend...and it was still delicious (and my friend didn't think it was dry). I don't recommend it though for the full tasty goodness.
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups (8 ounces) whole wheat or regular elbow pasta (or small shells)
6 ounces milk or 6 ounces (also available in 5 ounce can which is fine) evaporated milk
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded or sliced cheddar cheese
1. Cook pasta according to directions with the salt. While pasta is cooking prepare the cheese sauce.
2. Microwave broth and milk for 2-3 minutes in a large glass bowl. Handle with care. It will be steamy hot.
3. Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Whisk in flour, pepper, and the hot milk mixture.
4. Cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir or whisk frequently.
5. When mixture has thickened, add Parmesan cheese. Stir.
6. Turn heat off. (If using sliced cheese keep heat on lowest setting.) Add cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
7. Combine pasta and cheese sauce. Serve warm.
Hearty. Cheesey. Delicious. Try it!
Did you know that I don't shred cheese?
Another fabulous macaroni and cheese recipe is our creamy ham and mac recipe. Delicious!
This recipe was adapted from this one.
Sign up for weekly or daily emails from This Simple Home.