My mom has fibromyalgia. Last weekend she and my stepfather came to visit for the first time in a couple of years. During their visit, I wanted to provide gluten-free meals to show her it can be done, and tastily. Knowing we'd be making applesauce during Saturday, I opted for taco soup for dinner as an easy slow cooker meal.
The taco soup was a huge hit (both with our children and with our company). This recipe comes from my friend, though not on her blog. She served this to our family when we were guests for dinner. I quickly asked for the recipe when all of us enjoyed it. I loved that the beans' flavor is disguised in it. Taco soup is the only recipe I make with beans. I should also mention Dorie calls this Santa Fe soup, but I need to keep it simple.
Prep Time: 5
Cook Time: 3-8+ hours
Keywords: slow-cooker gluten-free
Ingredients (8+ servings)
- 1 lb. cheddar cheese, sliced or cubed (Velveeta may be used)
- 1 lb. ground meat, browned, drained, and rinsed
- 1 can corn, 15 oz. size, undrained (or frozen corn, 12-16 oz size)
- 1 can kidney beans, 15 oz. size, undrained
- 1 or 2 cans diced tomatoes, plain, 14.5 oz size
- 2 T. dry taco seasoning or packet
1. Prepare a large slow cooker with cooking spray or oil.
2. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cover.
3. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for a longer amount of time (as schedule allows. If cooking for longer than 3 hours, stir occasionally.
4. Serve with tortilla chips to scoop and eat the taco soup.
Powered by Recipage
Cheese. I have prepared taco soup with Velveeta and cheddar. Velveeta likely melts better, but I didn't notice a difference with cheddar. I prefer cheddar because it's real cheese, and I have it on hand.
Corn. I have prepared this with both the frozen and canned corn. Both work well.
Tomatoes. My friend's recipe calls for two cans of tomatoes. We aren't huge fans, so I only use one. I'm sure you could also dice your own tomatoes.
Tortilla chips. Consider having two bags of tortilla chips on hand for this recipe.
cornbread and, most recently, johnny-cakes (from the my new blog Little House Companion) though the tortilla chips are enough.
Sign up for weekly or daily emails from This Simple Home.